Sunday, August 26, 2012

Raising the Next Generation

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my baby boy and I really want him to make the right choices, go down the narrow road, and, all in all, serve God with all his heart, soul and mind.
One thing that has really been convicting, while I have been studying the OT Kings, is that many times you come across an amazingly godly king, and, then, the very next king (who was his son) is evil.
For instance, you have heard me talk about King Hezekiah. Hezekiah was a great king. He repaired the temple, carried out an amazing Passover celebration, sent out letters to try to bring the people back to the Lord, saw God defeat the Assyrian army AND saw God work a miracle in his own life. You can read about his life in 2 Kings 18-20 and 2 Chronicles 29-32.
If you continue reading in 2 Chronicles, you read in chapter 33 verse 2 "(Manasseh) but did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord." Manasseh, son of Hezekiah, was said to be the MOST wicked king of all. He was involved in witchcraft and even sacrificed his children (by fire) to the gods.
Later in his life he did get his heart right, while in prison, but his own child was just as sinful as he was. This is such a sad story. His dad seemed to be such a good king. What happened?
We also see this in the sons of two great prophets. We see Samuel's sons in I Samuel 8 "And it came to pass, when Samuel was old, that he made his sons judges over Israel. 2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment".

Then we See Eli's Sons...22 Now Eli was very old, and heard all that his sons did unto all Israel; and how they lay with the women that assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

You also see another king who was pretty good, Jehosphaphat. His son however, married Athaliah, the daughter of Ahab, and began his reign by murdering his six brothers. His reign was filled with wickedness and murder. So what can we do?

WE CAN'T do anything...

... BUT GOD CAN!!  Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."  Realizing how weak and unwise I am is such a convicting thought. I am NOTHNG, it is God and God alone that makes anything of me and does anything through me.

So I must DAILY depend on God to lead me and guide me. I need his words and wisdom to help me know what to say and do to help raise Avery, to help raise this next generation. I am generally clueless about what to do, but I read His Word and I pray like crazy that God will show me what to do. If Avery loves God and follows Him, it will only be because God did it, not because of me.

Father you can, I can't...please help me with every "present"! Thank you! - rejoicing in the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment