Tuesday, April 15, 2014

DIY Armoire


One of the first problems that I came upon when preparing  Baby T's room was closet space.  Our house doesn't have much closet space and the one closet that is in her room is actually used for storage. I knew that I couldn't give up that storage space; I decided I had to come up with another idea. I saw another bookcase-turned-armoire on Pinterest and that spurred the idea.  It wasn't hard to make and I figured that once she gets older we can use the bottom shelves to stack clothes instead of diapers and wipes.

So what did I do?


  1. I got rid of one of the shelves to give double the space.
  2. Then we installed a rod by drilling holes, installing and screwing them in.  The rod is an old wooden broom handle that we were able to saw and cut to fit. 
    1. If you want a more professional look, you can always measure the length and then go down to Lowe's.  They will help you get exactly what you need.
  3. Now I have a rod that I could hang clothes on.
  4. Once that was finished I bought a small curtain rod and made curtains out of the extra bumper material. I installed these curtains so that I could hide diapers and wipes.
    1. On a side note, the curtains are only temporary as I am going to try find white or green material.
  5. If you notice, there is a string of flowers on the side. Let me explain:  when the guys put this bookshelf together, one of the pieces was put on wrong.  Because of that, this bookshelf had one edge that was really rough. I never liked it and so when I decided to do the Moroccan Garden theme, I found these flowers and glued them on the side. I LOVE how it turned out, it gave the armoire just the bit of garden it needed. 
  6. As you can see, I have her bows displayed on top and so folks that is how you simply turn an old bookcase into a cute girly armoire :-)
- Rejoicing in the Present

No comments:

Post a Comment