Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Spy


I spy something that is red and silver, it's made of iron and wood and it has a head but isn't a living thing...Um... a HAMMER!  Yes. :-) This is a fun game to play with your children. In fact, the above picture is from a website, scholastic, where you can play all sorts of fun "i spy"games. The I Spy game is exciting and fun but also has a great lesson that we can teach our children with it as well. 
Cherie Bertaut MealsWhile I was at the WILDS this last week, I bought some CDs from the Rich Ladies Retreat. I listened to one of the speakers, Cherie Meals, and I got this interesting idea. They were so neat; I had to share.
Wikipedia gives this explanation of the game. The original game is a guessing game. One player chooses a letter of the alphabet and says, "I spy with my little eye something beginning with ...", naming the letter. Other players have to guess the chosen object.[1]I spy is often played with young children as a means to avert boredom in long car journeys.
What lesson can be taught from I Spy?
There are many different people, with many different needs. Teaching your child to "spy" them and then help with those needs is such an important lesson to be taught. Cherie mentioned that her kids loved to color  and they would use their coloring sheets to give to other people that needed to be cheered up.
Examples she mentioned:
  1. Her boss's grandmother lost her husband unexpectedly.  When Cherie expressed the lose to her children, they came up with the idea of singing her a song.  Then another time, they sent her a little DVD of them singing and quoting scripture and talking to her.
  2. Leaving cookies out for the trash men.
  3. Making a meal for single working moms after they had worked a full day.
  4. She also encourages her children to thank police officers and military men for their service. One day, her son slipped off in a store to go thank a police man. It was a bit frightening but encouraging to see her son spying a need and filling it.
  5. Taking candy and singing to the residents in the nursing home
  6.  ____________Fill in the blank 
 Spy on those that are hurting and help them. :-) - rejoicing in the present


No comments:

Post a Comment