Monday, June 3, 2013

Prominence or Preeminence

Many Christians would say that Jesus is prominent in their life. aThat would mean that He is important to them. a"We go to church, we give money, we have Christian pictures hanging in our house...etc." aThis, of course, would show that He is important in their life.

God however, doesn't want to be an important priority. aHe wants to be The one and only goal in our life. Colossians gives us a word that describes it best.  Colossians 1:18" ..that in all things he might have the preeminence."

So what does preeminence mean? aIt means superiority, so much higher then your highest priority. This means that your relationship with Christ is the most important thing in your life.

My husband and son are so very important to me, in fact if I could only choose two people to go with me, anywhere, they would be the two. I love them above all others BUT Jesus has to have an even higher level than them. He has to have preeminence over them.

Jesus having preeminence does not mean that I spend 10 hours in my Bible every day. This means that my actions, thoughts, time, money and life is soaked and surrounded by Jesus.

Examples:
  • Actions:  My actions are going to be spent in furthering the gospel and giving glory to God.  All of my work and fun is going to further what God wants for his kingdom and family.
  • Time:  The majority of my time is going to be spent on or with Jesus.  My activities are going to be activities that will result in my family and friends drawing closer to God and each other.
  • Money:  I am going to be a good steward of my money.  Using it once again to help people so that they can see God in a clearer way.
  • Thoughts:  My thoughts are going to be ones that God would approve of.  Ones that help me draw nearer to him.
Do you see how this plays out in your life?  God is to not just be important.  He is to be preeminent.  We should be like the moon. Our life should revolve around the "Son". - rejoicing in the present.

PS. Thanks to my handsome hubby for this Bible Lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment