Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Preserving Fruit


Handsome Hubby and I went blueberry picking. Down here in FL, we have the great opportunity to do this every May. Unfortunately, due to the seasonal nature of fruit, we only get this opportunity 2 times a year.  So during the rest of the year, we have to pay big bucks for hothouse berries OR we can preserve the yummy ones that we pick now. So we decided to preserve them.  I don't know how to can, so instead I freeze mine until I need them. I did this with blueberries and strawberries we got.

What you need
  1. Berries
  2. Cookie Sheets
  3. Zip lock Bags
  4. Optional: Knife

What you do.
  1. Clean and wash the berries
  2. (For strawberries, cut or pick off the green heads first.)
  3. Spread them out over a cookie pan
  4. Place them in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until frozen
  5. Once frozen, scrape them off the pan and into bags
  6. Keep those berries in the freezer until you need them.
CAUTION: If you do not freeze them in a pan and just place them in a bag after you wash them, they will stick together in one huge clump. This is the reason I freeze them individually first- Rejoicing in the present

No comments:

Post a Comment