Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Great Girls your Daughters should meet...

Recently I fell upon this article from MollyMakesDo and I thought I would share it with you. I really like most of the list and so I want to share them with you. I have added to her list and taken away a few as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the Twilight Series of books - long story short, I think they have little literary merit (due to equal parts poor writing, poor plot development and poor character development) and are marketed to too young of girls for my taste. That kind of literary fluff concerning the topics central to these books are best left to beach reads for older girls and women at best. My friend Haley does a great job at expressing her dislike of the series and I can't say I disagree. *as you read her letter please remember there is a difference between allowing a child to read what interests her and encouraging certain materials over another*.

The following is a far from complete list of some of my favorites - they are warriors, scholars, mothers, daughters; they can be wildly in love and impressively practical; they are a little too perfect and incredibly flawed. Most of them have happy endings, some of them don't. In an nutshell - these are girls who act like girls:


  1. Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden
  2. Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy from Little Women
  3. Sara Crewe from A Little Princess
  4. Laura, Mary and Ma Ingalls from the Little House on the Prairie Series
  5. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables
  6. Ramona and Beezus from the Ramona Series
  7. Lucy and Susan from the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  8. Jane from Jane Erye
  9. Lizzy Bennet and her Sisters from Pride and Prejudice
  10. Eleanor and Marianne from Sense and Sensibility
  11. Anne from Persuasion
  12. Eowyn from the Lord of the Rings
  13. Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing
  14. Kate from The Taming of the Shrew
  15. Hester Pryne from The Scarlet Letter
  16. Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird
  17. Princess Buttercup from The Princess Bride
  18. Charlotte from Charlotte's Web
  19. Sarah from Sara, Plain and Tall
Not to mention some really great ladies from the past and present:
  1. Not to mention...Lydia, Ruth, Esther and Mary from the Bible
  2. Mary from Mary Slessor: White Queen of the Cannibals
  3. Gladys Alward from The Little Woman
  4. Korie Robertson from The Duck Commander Family
  5. Katie from Kisses from Katie
  6. Lisa Beamer from Let's Roll
  7. Cassie Bernall from She said Yes
Feel free to add to the list - Rejoicing in the Present

No comments:

Post a Comment