Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Mother's Prayer by Anna Ruwersma



I stumbled upon this blog post and felt very convicted about this. We often are so busy with our ministries that we often become a Martha instead of a Mary.  We need to sit at Jesus' feet, whenever we have the opportunity.  Here is a GREAT yet useful article - Rejoicing in the Present


A Mother’s Prayer


We know there is power in prayer, but sadly many of us fail to pray. We get busy. We are tired. We forget.  Lately the Lord has convicted me of my lack of prayer, specifically for my son. I realize this is a broad topic and much can be said on the matter of praying for your children. I am not an expert and fail so often, but I am doing my best each day to strengthen my prayers for my son. I thought I would share a few ways that have helped me pray for Noah and teach him to pray.
  • I return to Noah’s room after he is asleep at night and kneel next to his bed in prayer. When I hear his soft breathing and feel his smooth skin it moves my heart to pray hard for his God-given life.  I look forward to this sweet time each day. Once I started praying for him in a deeper way I noticed it was changing my heart. I was more patient and consistent with him throughout the day. My motivation for disciplining him was for the right reasons.  My heart was prepared to be mother who could point him to Jesus Christ. Some nights I’m next to his bed for a long time, other nights it’s just for a few moments, but it’s a special time of surrendering him to God each day and praying for his future. I hope one day he will remember his mother’s prayers.
    c84db97d3164f2583a42eef3535deb6f
  • My son is only one year old, but I think it’s a great idea to claim a Bible verse for your child each year.  Praying scripture is always good, but having a specific verse to pray each day for them is great. I like the verse I Samuel 12:24“Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart; for consider how great things he hath done for you.”
  (Trace your child’s hand, choose a verse or a some special requests to pray for them throughout the year.)
  • I am in the process of making Noah his own prayer book. Right now he prays, “Dear Jesus, Amen.” I cried the first time I heard him pray – what a blessing! Since he can identify his family and friends in pictures perhaps a prayer journal will help him say a few names in his prayers. Here is a link for an idea how to make a children’s prayer journal, http://ashleyannphotography.com/blog/2009/03/03/diy-kids-prayer-journal/.
I want to be a good example of a praying woman for my son. Time spent in prayer is never wasted, and let’s remember there is power in prayer! Abraham Lincoln said, “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment