Wednesday, January 28, 2015

What are you going to do?

I was recently telling my mom that I thought that maybe I was going through postpartum depression.  She came back with the thought that it could just be this set of trials that I was going through....

....and, friends, it's been a ride. Many of you know that our daughter has had a time of it for the last 3 months. We've practically lived at the doctor's office and been to the hospital too many times. From pneumonia to RSV to to surgery, I'm a favorite with my insurance company.  In fact, when my phone rings, my son automatically thinks it's Daddy, Bebe(Grandma) or the doctor.

In addition, two of the three showers in our house are leaking and the toilet in the third started overflowing this weekend, due to a backup in one of the pipes.

Our closest friends are moving halfway across the country and it will be extremely hard and rare to see them again.

With all this, we just found out some news that will effect us financially. You got to love the involvement of the government in our lives. 


Additionally, my health is not good and, due to the medical issues of the kids, I have not been able to be at church more then a handful of times over the last 3 months....

Now, I did not write this for you to feel sorry for me; I wrote this because I wanted you to see where I was coming from when I wrote this post.

In the middle of all this I am doing a ladies Bible study through our church and we happen to be studying the book of James.  The second week - first homework lesson- was exactly what I needed.

Beth Moore discusses James 1:2-4 "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."


I have heard this passage before, but I don't think it has ever been so applicable. Beth teaches us to "count it all joy." In other words, be excited when you fall into these trials. 

On a side note, notice that it's "fall into." These are not trials that we plan or look for; they are trials that just happen to us. This is not drama that we run to and get involved with; this is simply a trial that happens to us, unawares.

We need to have contentment, knowing that God is in control and that He is going to make us better, more whole. (as long as we are open to learning) We are going to learn patience and that is going to perfect us. 

It won't be easy but it will be worth it.

Beth says "What are you going to do with all your going through?"

I would say this "You can't always decide your circumstances but you can decide how you are going to react/respond to them."

Here are somethings that help me...

  • Look up! See God working. Be excited at the knowledge that you are going to grow. 
  • Look out! There are so many people that are hurting.
    • In fact, I recently shared some posts about helping others. I hope you read them and that you will reach out. When you are looking at others, it will diminish your own problems.
  • Thank Him! Thank the Lord for the trials that will bring perfecting, but also thank Him for all the blessings in your life.
So now, when I look at the list I see this...
  1. I am thankful for the doctors that were able to help my daughter get better. I'm thankful that her medical problems were fixable.
  2. I am thankful that we have 3 bathrooms. I am thankful that we are going to be able to get some of these problems fixed. I am thankful that we have indoor plumbing and I'm thankful that they are not all broken.
  3. I am thankful for my friends. I am also VERY thankful that their move means that they got the ministry position that they were praying for.  This is going to be very good for them.
  4. I am thankful that God always takes care of us financially. I am thankful that we are not in debt. I am thankful that our bills are covered. I am blessed.
  5. Lastly, I am thankful for my good days. I am thankful for my bad days because that means that the next healthy day I have will be appreciated more. 
It's all about perspective! What are you going to do with the plate you have been given? - Rejoicing in the Present

STAY TUNED!!!! - Tomorrow, I want to follow-up on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment