Monday, January 19, 2015

Not Why but "WHO"

"Often I hear news of tragedies, suffering, and conflicts in the world, like Ebola, those contending with cancer, marriage breakups, sickness, death, and the current persecution of believers at the hands of radical Muslims. What should we do upon hearing of such news?"

I'm sure many of you mothers, wives, and women in general have these thoughts and concerns. It's a scary world in a scary time and if it were not for the protection of God and the hope of eternity, I really don't know what I would do. 

This is an encouraging article by Mem Luton over at Overcomer Outreach. - Rejoicing in the Present


“Busy” is the only way to describe a typical day during this season of my life.

As a wife and mother of four children aged four to eleven, with no grandparents, each day is very full…especially with ministry to others outside my home. I cling to God’s promise that He will never leave me nor forsake me (Heb. 13: 5). Although my husband is very loving and supportive, it is to the Lord that I have to look daily to meet my deepest needs. Often I hear news of tragedies, suffering, and conflicts in the world, like Ebola, those contending with cancer, marriage breakups, sickness, death, and the current persecution of believers at the hands of radical Muslims. What should we do upon hearing of such news? Truly, there is no end to the frustration we can experience when we obsess over “why” these things happen.

The question I must continually ask myself is not “Why?” but “Who?” Who is it that is ultimately in control of His universe? In whose sovereign hands are those people who are currently facing trials and adversities? We live in a fallen world, but we have a wonderful Savior. His name is Jesus. And whereas love compels me to not brush off such tragic events and preoccupy myself in my own little world, the Bible counsels me in Phil. 4:6 and 7 to:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus


What would happen if we truly believed this verse and put into practice what is commanded us, especially in difficult circumstances? Do we really take our requests and cares to the Lord in a spirit of thanksgiving, trusting that God will indeed work all things together in a pattern for our good according to His promise in Rom. 8:28?

Every time I put these truths into practice, God’s peace returns, and I feel better. Because of the power of God’s Word, I am inspired to choose to do the work that the Lord has given me to do today, namely to be a servant to my family with all the incumbent duties of cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, playing with my youngest children, checking homework, and listening to after-school stories. In the world’s eyes, this work doesn’t seem important, but the time invested in one’s family will not be wasted in the long run. We are touching another generation, and I don’t want my faith to end with me. Neither do I want to have regrets after my children are grown wishing that I had done things differently.

I’m so thankful that God chose to entrust me with five souls to serve, including my husband, and my perspective is renewed by the motto that Billy Graham’s wife Ruth had mounted above her kitchen sink: Divine service is performed here every day.

When I serve those whom God has placed in my family, I am actually serving Him (Col. 3:23) by doing the work that He has given me to do each day. God also, however, wants me to rest in Him in order that I might renew my strength (Isa. 40:31). This requires wisdom and discernment on my part, because all too often, I become so busy doing the work that I want to do that I end up running myself ragged by the end of a day and neglect the work that God has given me to do. When this happens, I invariably fail to serve my family effectively. Believe me, this lesson is one I learn daily. The Lord has promised that His yoke is easy and His burden is light (Matt. 11:30). When I start my day in His presence, worshipping Him, and prayerfully spending time in His word, He gives the grace I need to walk by faith rather than by sight (2 Cor. 5:7) and experience the rest that comes from placing everything into His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment