Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year and New Ideas - MYO Body Butter


It's a new year! Time to experience new things,  make new things and step out of our comfort zone. So, here is a Make-Your-Own recipe to try.  :-) 

So, I LOVE back massages. Due to all the physical pain I experience, a good massage will relieve stress, relax my muscles and give me a boost for the rest of the day. So lotion and body butters are a must in my house. 


Here is a MYO recipe from hensandhoney. - Rejoicing in the Present

What you need...
  1. 1 cup organic coconut oil
  2. 1 cup organic cocoa butter
  3. essential oil of you choice
What you do...
1. Measure out one cup of coconut oil and one cup of cocoa butter. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen, the coconut oil will probably be in a soft solid state similar to the consistency of Crisco. The cocoa butter on the other hand is more solid. I usually take a butter knife and hack at the cocoa butter container until I get enough chunks to fill the measuring cup. It’s a great way to take out your frustrations from the week!
2. Put the coconut oil and cocoa butter into a small to medium saucepan on medium heat. Melt the contents until completely liquid, and there are no longer any chunks. It usually takes 4-5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl and refrigerate until the liquid becomes a soft solid again. This took about a few hours for me, but I’m sure all refrigerators are different.
4. Add your essential oil to your liking. 
5. Mix until light and fluffy, similar to whipped cream consistency. This took me about 10 minutes on a high setting on my Kitchenaid stand mixer.
6. Transfer to a jar, and enjoy. That’s it!
Note: Because the body butter is made partially from coconut oil, you’ll want to store it at a comfortable room temperature. If it’s too cold, it’ll become pretty solid, and if it’s too warm it’ll turn to liquid. If it happens,  no problem, just transfer it to a more temperate area.

No comments:

Post a Comment