Tuesday, July 1, 2014

4th of July Craft

Here is a quick, easy and adorable 4th of July craft! Enjoy! This is from Melissa on Home Talk - Rejoicing

I always hate throwing out glass jars and we don't have anywhere to take them for recycling in my county. I have quite the collection saved and wanted to do something with them. I love decorating for all of the holidays and wanted to create something patriotic for the 4th of July without spending a lot of money. I had three pickle jars that were the perfect size for making these luminaries.



Here are the pickle jars I started out with. To remove the labels I soaked them in some dish soap and warm water. The labels peeled right off.
I found a 3 pack of the small American flags in the dollar spot at Target. I put the jars on top of the flags to flatten them out. They were a little curled up from being in the package.
I removed the wooden sticks from the flag and was careful to not rip the flag when taking out the staples. I then used roll on adhesive tape (it can be found just about anywhere that sells crafts) to the back of flag. I lined up the flag with the jar. You can't really mess this part up because the flag fit perfectly on to the jar.
After I taped the flag onto the jar I used a few coats of Mod Podge to make it stick to the jar better.
I added a little twine to the top of the jar to make it look less like a pickle jar. I used gorilla glue and a clothespin to keep the twine in place until the glue dried.
I added some tea lights to the jars and instant outdoor lighting was created. They look so pretty at night! Um, somebody should really paint those steps. Although, I kind of dig the chippy white paint look. ;) It's amazing what you can make with the stuff you already have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment