Monday, June 23, 2014

Lessons from the Beach

We have a little beach boy.  I don't know where he got it because neither my husband nor I are huge fans of the beach. I think it just developed from a love of splashing and playing in dirt.  :-) 

A few weekends ago, we decided to have some family time.  So off we went to the beach.  I sat on our towel and watched the boys play and then, after a bit, went to join them.  The tide was high, so the boys had a blast getting splashed and knocked over the water. 

As a mom, I get nervous seeing my little guy fall in.  I imagine the worse, thinking that my baby is going to get pulled into the ocean.  So, when I saw him fall, the first instinct was to rush and pull him up.  My husband who was next to him, stopped me from doing this.  He stood above and was a ready hand for if Bubby couldn't get up.  I really didn't like it. The first couple times, Bubby seemed a little scared, but he learned how to get up and face his fear.  I saw how wise my husband had been. 

It was hard to get him out of the water that day, he was having so much fun and loved every moment of it.  If I had had my way, I would have "protected him" but in the end, it would have just built a fear in him that could have endangered him someday. 

This is another good illustration of our Heavenly Father. Sometimes, when we fall down physically, financially, or emotionally, we cry out to God and then don't understand why He doesn't pick us up immediately.  We have to first know that He is right there, ready to help us.  Sometimes, the best thing that He can do for us is let us fight our own battle. 

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."




No comments:

Post a Comment