Friday, May 2, 2014

DIY Tutu's

TUTU's!  Can you tell I love anything girlie!  I learned how to make the tutus from my good friend Brandy and have not stopped since.  I have made tutus for friends but when I found out I was having a girl, I decided to make her one in every color of tulle I had. She now has a 2 pinks, a purple, a red and a blue tutu!  Ok I know that's a bit extreme, but I figure, she will have one with each outfit. :-)  Now there are 2 different ways to make tutus.  This, below, is probably the easiest for babies.  I would suggest this website or this one for tutus for older girls that couldn't fit into the headbands.  Like I said, I've known how to make these tutus for a while but after I found these clear directions, I figured I would share her method with you.

The directions below are from offsquare. If you go to her website there are pictures as well. 

Here is what you need...

  1. Stretchy headband 
  2. 1.5m tulle (make sure you get the softer, slightly more pricey stuff.  Kids won’t thank you for anything scratchy)

What to do...

  1. Simply cut your tulle into a gazillion strips measuring 50cm x 12cm. Rough enough is good enough here. Your perfectionist side can take a break for the time being.
  2. Fold a strip in half and, choosing a hole in the lower portion of the headband, thread it through the hole from front to back (loop first, facing downwards).
  3. Pull the remaining length down through the loop and tighten so that it’s now fastened onto the headband.
  4. Continue all the way around with the remaining tulle.
  5. The more tulle you use, the more full the skirt will be. I looped some excess tulle into holes a little farther up the headband so don’t be afraid to claim more territory there if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment