Wednesday, May 7, 2014

DIY Fleece Blanket


When our little guy was a baby, my husband's grandmother made him a beautiful quilt. We will always treasure it as it was made with lots of love. She is a sweet lady with a big heart but her health just wouldn't allow her to make another quilt.  Instead she made a beautiful comfy blanket for our little girl.  Like the quilt, we will treasure the effort and love she put into it. 

I was able to find easy directions on Pinterest from Katie. Here they are...

What you need:
  1. Two fleece fabrics. I always do a pattern on top and a solid on bottom,  This blanket is 2 yards long. I usually do 2 1/2 yards because I like mine huge - but they only had 2 yards left in the gray and that's what I wanted. Obviously you can make them bigger or smaller according to your needs.
  2. Scissors
What you do:


  1. Lay down the solid piece of fleece with the softest side facing the floor. On a side note, don't wash your fleece before you begin - I did that the first time I ever made one of these and it didn't turn out well Wash it when you're finished!
  2. Then lay down the printed fleece with the softest side up.
  3. ****DISCLAIMER - DON'T CUT DIRECTLY ON YOUR CARPET***
  4. Using your cutting board underneath, cut off the excess edges with your fabric rotary cutter. You know me, I just eyeball it. Just cut off as little as possible so you can maximize your fabric.
  5. Now cut off all four corners. I cut five squares x five squares on my board.
  6. Now you're ready to cut your strips. I don't measure every single strip (this would take an eternity) but they vary in width from about 1 - 1 1/2 squares width. I cut them about five squares deep to match the depth of the corner square I cut.
  7. As I'm cutting I flip every other strip up. This will make it easier to tie the strips later on and it helps me eyeball how straight my line is.
  8. Now you tie! I start at the corner strip and tie every other strip. I always tie two knots. Make sure you don't tie the first knot too tight - if you do the fabric will all bunch together and your blanket will end up small and round (this happened on my first blanket).
  9. Then just go back around and tie the rest of the stips!
  10. Viola! You're done - it probably took me about an hour at the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment