Tuesday, August 18, 2015

DIY - Recovering Chairs

When I was up in Tennessee earlier this year, visiting my family, my mom mentioned that she was probably going to get rid of a couple bar stools because the seats were worn-out.  
My grandmother, who lives in the same house, also had some beautiful old German-made chairs with padded seats that were old and looked bad. So I asked my mom if I could recover the chairs.  She was a bit skeptical but gave me the okay.   So we went to the fabric store and picked out some new material that would match her decor.

This is what I needed:
  1. Upholstery Fabric
  2. Staple gun
  3. Staples
  4. Screwdriver

Then I got to work. My dad volunteered and was a HUGE help in this project.  This is what we did:
  1. First, we turned the chairs over and unscrewed the chair pads.  The newer chairs had only 4 screws holding down the pads. The German-made ones had like 4,256. (or maybe just 20)
  2. After we got the seats off, I cut a large piece of fabric for each with enough room to cover the sides and part of the bottom as well as the seats themselves. 
  3. Then I wrapped the fabric nicely around to the underside and stapled.
  4. Once the seats were re-wrapped, I put them back on the chairs and screwed the screws back in place.
It was a fairly easy project . You can see the before and after pictures below. - Rejoicing in the Present


No comments:

Post a Comment