Friday, May 1, 2015


Last year during the holiday, you may remember that we had a lot of sickness. During that time, we bought a cool-mist humidifier to help with my daughter's breathing. We had not used it long before "horror of horrors" happened...

One afternoon, I noticed something fuzzy on the table cloth covering the stand next to the rocking chair. I looked a little closer and there was mold growing on it. In horror, I ripped that cloth off and, to my greater horror, the whole particle board table underneath was covered in mold. The whole top of it was black and green and white. My mind couldn't even wrap around the situation. I didn't even know that things could happen like that. 

I threw everything away and then went online to see what was up. Here are some of the things I read...

The biggest drawback to cool-mist humidifiers is that the cool water can be an excellent breeding ground for mold and bacteria..... In addition, these machines are quite efficient at dispersing the minerals within tap water which can cause health problems themselves. So, distilled water should be used in cool-mist humidifiers. ... the humidity in the air can allow for mold growth within the carpeting or other areas of the house. For children with asthma, this increased exposure to mold can often actually make matters worse" - ivillage

A humidifier may help you breathe easier, but too much moisture isn't healthy either. Mold, dust mites, mildew and bacteria thrive in moist environments. - foxnews

So, I would encourage you to be careful. Check the room carefully through out the usage, if you even plan to use it. Also, it is VERY important to keep the purifier, itself, cleaned. 

Here are instructions for cleaning it:
Cleaning instructions from:air-n-water

  1. Unplug your cool mist humidifier and carefully begin taking it apart. Make sure the water tank is separate from the filter and base. Also, be sure to carefully remove the motor housing and set aside 
  2. Fill the tank with water and add the tablespoon of bleach. Replace the lid on the water tank and let sit approximately 30 minutes. 
  3. Fill the large sauce pan with water and 2 cups of white vinegar. Place the filter in the saucepan with the vinegar/water combination and let sit for approximately 30 minutes 
  4. Pour a generous amount of undiluted white vinegar in to the base of your cool mist humidifier and let sit for 30 minutes. Then remove any residue or build-up by gently scrubbing with the soft bristle brush. Rinse thoroughly. 
  5. Disinfect the base by pouring a mixture of 1 teaspoon of bleach for every gallon of water that you use into the base of the cool mist humidifier. Let sit for 30 minutes 
  6. Gently spot clean any remaining pieces and thoroughly rinse the tank, filter, and base. 
  7. Put the cool mist humidifier back together, fill the tank with cool water and resume regular use.

Finally here are a few"quick" tips from foxnews"

  1. Clean your humidifier every three days. Empty the water, completely dry the humidifier, and then refill. 
  2. Use distilled or demineralized water, instead of tap water. Mist created from tap water leaves behind a white residue, because of its high mineral content.
  3. Change the filters as your humidifier's instructions suggest, or more often if need be.
  4. Clean humidifiers before and after storage. Don't give mold, dust and other bacteria a chance to grow.
If you don't plan to put a lot of care and effort into using the humidifier, I would recommend you not use it at all. The added danger is not worth the help it provides. This of course is my personal opinion; you can take it, leave it or share it. - Rejoicing in the Present

No comments:

Post a Comment