Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sacrificial Love

John 15:12-13 " This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. How did He love us? Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Jesus was the ultimate example of love, a love that sacrificed everything. A true example of sacrificial love.

I have my own ideas about love and what I think it is.  I have expectations but they are not always Biblical expectations. The Bible clearly shows us that love is sacrificial. So, since my husband has lived this out over and over again, I wanted to share the blessing that he is to me.

When I first got married I often complained about what my husband was not doing right. I got so carried away with my expectations that I would miss the huge blessing he was in my life.


To clarify the story, I must tell you that my health is terrible. I'm not quite sure where and when it all started. It may have been resulting from my multiple back surgeries in my teens.  It may be due to the fibromyalgia attacks I get. It could be that I am a breast-feeding mommy whose nutrient-stores are depleted. It may be just that I have a weak immunesystem. Whatever the case, it's been a hard couple of years. Especially since my first child was born.

My husband has stepped up on multiple occasions giving up his time and energy to take the kids so that I can rest. He tries to go with me to most all of the kids' and my appointments; He's even worked his schedule so that I can get out of the house by myself a few times a week.

He works hard in his ministry at our church, giving to the children as well as the teens, and yet, when he comes home, he still has time for our family. He often calls on the way home to see if he can do pick anything up and when he walks in the door he asks what he can do. Our children ADORE him.

My son thinks his name is "daddy's boy" and my daughter is already becoming a daddy's girl. He puts our son to bed at night and "A" gets excited about the story that Daddy will share from the Bible. Many nights, even though he is tired, he willingly gives me a back massage because he knows it will relieve some of my pain.

With my husband, there are not a lot of love letters and chocolate roses ,but there is A LOT of sacrifices that he makes so that our family can be better. There are a lot of family walks and a lot of games. There are amazing breakfasts that we wake up to and lots of hugs and kisses.

I am FAR from a perfect wife. However, he does quite an amazing job at portraying the sacrificial love that Christ has for His church. I am so blessed that God gave him to me as a gift. 


John 15:12-13 " This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. How did he love us? Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Laying down your life doesn't always mean physical death. Sometimes it means leaving behind the life that you WANT to give someone else the life that they NEED. I am thankful for his love - Blessed & Rejoicing







1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your comment... "Laying down your life doesn't always mean physical death. Sometimes it means leaving behind the life that you WANT to give someone else the life that they NEED."

    ReplyDelete