Wednesday, November 20, 2013

When You've Had It...

This article was written for the Homeschool mom but I feel like it can be applied to all burnt-out moms. Thanks to servingjoyfully! - RITP

Laundry to do, dinner to cook, child teething, husband busy at work, appointments to meet, church to attend, devo's to do...what to do?...

Look to your creator

Sometimes this gets dismissed as a platitude. But the truth is, God created you, and He alone can sustain you through those tough times. His word says that He will bear the load for us if we will only let Him.
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. -Matthew 11:28-30
If you are feeling weary and burdened, let those words wash over you today. 

Look up to godly examples

I love to read real-life encouragement and challenges from someone who has been there, done that…and has done it well. I think of the home-educators who have gone before me. Those women who are Titus 2 women to the blogosphere (or in real life if you have them). Sometimes even fiction can serve up this inspiration. I will always remember reading  Robin Lee Hatcher’s Belonging. In the book, the main female character is a school teacher. Several times throughout the book we’re told about how she prays for her students, and she prays that God will help her be a good teacher to them. Even something as simple as a character in a book inspired and challenged me.
Whatever it is–a blog, a book, a fictional character, a real person–find something that challenges you and inspires you to be better at what you do.

Look to your schedule

When I am feeling especially burdened and weary, it’s usually a good sign that I’m not taking care of myself, that I’m overcommitting myself, that I’m not honoring God’s commandment to give my mind and body some rest. Sometimes, it means that I am too busy doing the wrong things. When I step outside God’s good and perfect will and take on things that He never intended for me to take on, that’s when I become weary and burdened by many things.
I love the words that Jesus spoke to Martha:
And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”
One thing is needed. Just one thing. And when we move beyond that one thing (Jesus, God’s will), we bring unnecessary stress and burdens on ourselves that we weren’t meant to bear.

Look to an organized event

During a similar time last year, I remember looking over the sessions for a homeschool conference I was planning to attend. Being the planner I am, I poured over it. The titles and descriptions alone were encouraging! And the conference itself was amazing–just being around all those like-minded families and learning alongside them and from them was such a blessing.  One of my favorite speakers from that conference, Mrs. Heidi St. John made me laugh, and cry, and want to be a better mom and homeschooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment