Monday, November 11, 2013

Learning to Be Content


November is the month that our Facebook "feed" blows up with "I am thankful for this and that".  Most of the posts have to do with faith, family and good times. Very rarely, do we hear a post of thanksgiving for trials in our life.  In fact, most of us struggle to keep our head above water and then thank God after it's over.

God doesn't want us to be thankful for just the good times, but to be content during the trials of our life as well.  In fact, He says in Philippians 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

Recently, I came out of the first trimester of my second pregnancy. During that time I was so miserable and unhappy, far from content.  I complained and threatened my husband that he would have to adopt if he wanted more.  Ok, yes, I know this was my hormones but it was also ME talking. It was selfish and an unthankful response for this trial in my life.

One night I was complaining to a friend about my sickness; she is still trying to get pregnant with her first.  I was telling her "just you wait, it's horrible" and she replied that she would probably not mind because she would finally have her baby.  "Wow, get over yourself," I told myself.  There are ladies who would go through so much more then you have been through just to have their own baby.

So, I want to say I am now choosing to be thankful for the nausea and the tiredness. I  am thankful for a bed to rest in while I am weary.  I am thankful for indoor plumbing to throw up in.  I am thankful for the illness and nasty taste in my mouth because that means that I am growing a baby in my tummy, a sibling for Baby A and a child to raise for the Lord.  I am thankful that God gave us another blessing to give back to Him.  I am thankful for family and a husband who have been supportive during this time.  I am thankful for books that helped me to rest.  I am thankful for my midwife and all her wisdom and for the internet and friends with great advice. I am thankful for this condition, because it means new life.

Friends, we need to be thankful for everything, not just our wonderful families, our caramel lattes and nights out with the "girls". We are supposed to content with our leaky plumbing, cracks in the walls and crayons on our refurbished chairs because it means we have a house over our head and a child running around in our home.

Let's not run away from our problems but run to the Savior and thank Him for the trials of our life. - Rejoicing in the Present

Picture from windowforwomen

No comments:

Post a Comment