Monday, September 16, 2013

Submission: THE Example

We don't hear the word "submission" much anymore and usually when we do, our walls immediately go up. Submission is a Biblical word, a word that is part of a plan that God made for us to bring about peace.

Peace: I'm sure you have heard that word on many occasions. In fact, half speeches in the world include some form of "We want world peace" in them. So the same people that hate the word submission love the word peace. Well for all of you who choke on this word, please know that God designed the two to go together.

I am the first to admit that I STRUGGLE with submission and authority in general. This is the reason that God brought me through this study. It has been so convicting that I HAD to share it with you. Most of my study comes from Elizabeth's George's I Peter Study.

So maybe you too have felt the need to submit, but just don't know how, today we will talk about the greatest example of submission, Jesus Christ. We are in 1 Peter 2:21-25, let's read it...

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls."

Jesus is our perfect example of suffering. He did NOTHING wrong but yet, he was abused in the worst possible ways.  He went into the situation with a submissive heart. I n Luke 22:42 he says"... Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."  While he was going through the trail, he did not go around it, he went through it.

HE DID NOT...
  1. Commit sin
  2. Have guile in his mouth (no trickery or deceit)
  3. Did not revile in return (was not abuse in his language)
  4. Did not threaten
INSTEAD, HE...
  1. Committed himself to God
    1. He placed his trust in God that God is in control and that God has a plan and would take care of him.  He sacrificially went through and beat Hell for us.
Personally, when I am angry with an authority, I would like to verbally tear them apart to their face to everyone nearby, threaten them or just hurt them in the same way they have hurt me.  Maybe, I would just give them the silent treatment and just shut them out of my life.  Not give them one more second of my life. J esus, however, did not do these things. He took the grief and He took it silently.

The cross that He took then enabled us to live righteously. ( "by whose stripes ye are healed")  He bore our sins in is own body.  It wasn't his fault, yet He took them silently. Why? ...to bring us to God. That we may know Him, through the blood of Jesus.

How does this apply to my life?
  1. Jesus committed no sin
    1. SO, what sins must I eliminate to be truly submissive?
  2. Jesus spoke no sin
    1. So, How can I control my speech to be submissive?
    2. What must I not say so that what He says can speak through my life?
  3. Jesus did not answer back when He was insulted
    1. What can I do when I am insulted?
    2. Should I answer back?  Should I be silent?  How can I give Him glory?
  4. Jesus did not react when He suffered
    1. How can I respond?
I pray that today, Father, when I am oppressed and afflicted, I will not open my mouth and when I am brought down, slaughtered and torn, I will keep my mouth closed, so that You may be get the honor and glory, AMEN!  (Is. 53:7) - Rejoicing in the present

No comments:

Post a Comment