Sunday, September 6, 2015

Lessons From Moms in the Bible - The Widow of Zarapheph

Providing for our kids is important.  I know many a mom who will go without just so that her child "has". 
At one point when my son was pretty young, we were sharing my food at dinner.  Many times, he would eat the majority of the food and I would go without.  My husband finally caught on to what was happening and made sure I made enough food for all of us. 
So, I totally "get" this mama.  She was trying so hard to provide for her child but she was at the end of her rope with nowhere left to go.  Let's look at her story and see how she provided for her child in the most unusual way.  

I Kings 17: 10 Elijah introduces us to this mom. "
 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink."
And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand.
And she said, As the Lord thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.
 And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.
For thus saith the Lord God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the Lord sendeth rain upon the earth.
And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.
When Elijah met this sweet mama, she was gathering some sticks so that she could make a last meal for her child and herself.

When Elijah asked for her food, she had two choices:  feed this prophet or feed her family.  What would you have done in this instance?  (I mean we would all love to say that we would feed the prophet.  But really?  would we really?)

She had to choose what to do and choose to trust God by trusting His servant.  She chose to give to God and that act of faith kept her family fed for "many days".

Here is what I think we can take away from this lesson:  God is the provider.  Just because I think I have to work doesn't mean I do. God can provide and if He wants you to be a stay-a- home mom, He will provide what you need.  God may have a different plan for my life. Whatever it is, we  must FIND THE PLAN and follow it, because ultimately, HE IS the PROVIDER.

What this widow taught her child was not just give to God, BUT to give until it hurt.  What an amazing lesson!  God blessed her and her family because of this act of faith.

My husband and I decided that I would stay at home after I had my first child.  We planned for it and we chose to do this.  It's not always an easy path but God has ALWAYS provided for us. 

Just to be clear, this blog post is not about being a stay-at-home mom; it's about trusting in God to provide for your family. He is the ultimate provider. - Rejoicing in the Present




No comments:

Post a Comment