Friday, October 28, 2016

Please Look Up

A few months ago, I found a Groupon for an indoor trampoline park.  It looked like it would be fun and the price was just right.  I bought it.  Because of the transition we've been experiencing, it's been sitting in my account for a little bit.  Finally, we had an afternoon free and we picked up A's cousin and headed to the park. 

Inside the building there were 5 areas where the kids could jump.  Right in the front middle area, there were couches and chairs spread out, with moms and dads sitting in them. 

I started getting the kids ready to jump, when Jer made a comment that made me raise my head.  I looked up and saw what he was talking about. 

Nearly every parent in that room was looking down at their phones.  I wish I could have taken a picture. This wasn't one or two parents, we are talking more like 15-20.

There were lots of kids jumping and having fun, but the parents didn't see it.  In fact, they were missing out on the opportunity to play and enjoy the time they had with their kids. The parents could have gotten in and jumped with their kids but instead their heads were all down. 

Well, we decided to have fun.  Jer showed the kids tricks. The kids copied Daddy and laughed with Mommy.  We played dodge ball in the dodge-ball pit.  We learned how to jump off the walls and flip into the big blown- up pillow.  It was a really fun night that I will remember for a long time. 

Now before, I get any "hate" mail, let me say, I do understand, Moms.  I do know that sometimes you have work to do.  I do understand that sometimes it's better to take the kids to a park while you work instead of the kids watching TV at home.  I get it.  I understand that sometimes you are so exhausted after a long day of work and you just want your kids to have fun while you relax.  I get that.  Sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

But, I also see lots of kids today are given toys instead of time. 

I also see lots of kids who are being taught to look down instead of out. 

I see parents who work all year long to take a 1-week "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation.  It doesn't makes sense.  

There are seasons in life. I totally get it. If you have to work so that there is food on your table tonight, keep on mom. You are are doing well. 

BUT, there are cuts that WE CAN make.

There is so much more than that game on your phone or your social media friends. There is more...

There is a child that is bouncing up and down on that trampoline with a huge smile and a heart that wants to be seen.  

There is a child who fell down and needs to be picked up and kissed.  

There is a child being bullied by some kids. 

Did you you see them?

Those pictures on Instagram are not always real life. Those DIY projects on Pinterest can fail you.  That game doesn't need to be won.  That phone call can wait. That comment doesn't need to be shared at this moment. 

Please

look 

up and out, 

the real world awaits. - Rejoicing in the Present



No comments:

Post a Comment