Monday, October 10, 2016

Love and Law

You see two extremes in church culture.  Some have even given names to the extremes--liberals and fundamentalists.  Basically, there are the ones who love with no rules OR there are those who rule with no love. 

Both extremes have positives.  

Loving is important and keeping God's commandments are important. BUT, did you know that they are both equal?  IN FACT, did you know that God equates them to each other.
"If ye love me, keep my commandments." - John 14:15

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: - John 14:21

"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." - John 15:10

I don't know which one you lean toward.  You may lean more to following and enforcing rules OR you may lean toward lawless love.  However, I would encourage you to be balanced. 

We must follow the commands that God has given us, out of the love that we have toward Him.  We must also love others with the sacrificial love He has bestowed on us and teach those in our care the commands that He wants us to follow.

So what's the plan?

Know what his laws are.

"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment." - 1 John 3:23


The most basic way to wrap it up is to love God and love everyone else (including your enemies). ...with the commands that He gives us.  What are His commands? You can read the most basic commands in Exodus 20 and Jesus' teaching in the gospels.  But His commands are spread though out the Bible, so my best suggestion is to READ the BIBLE.  Ask God to show you his commands and He will. 

Let there be a balance.  Love God AND follow His commands. - Rejoicing in the Present







No comments:

Post a Comment