Wednesday, October 12, 2016

My Calling

I started this post months ago but just never could pull together my heart on this issue. Then, it all finally came together, but in a really different way.

My daughter woke up early Sunday morning vomiting; because I couldn't sleep and she wanted to be held, I decided, while I held her, to read a book, GLOBAL SOCCER MOM, which I will discuss in another blog.  As I read about this soccer mom who was fighting AIDS, the desire to do "something more" stirred in me again.

Ironically before I went to sleep the night before, I had read the article When You Want To Do Great Things for God and He Keeps Calling You to Be a Mom.

So, with both of these thoughts clashing in my brain, I simply let my memories and thoughts take over.

I thought about the sweet chubby little princess in my arms who was battling a fever and just needed her mommy.

I remembered my months in Africa as a single missionary.

I thought of my sweet son who was learning and growing in Kindergarten.

I thought of my desires to be "Run Ma Run," William Carey or a Katie Davis, (a superhero for the cause of Christ.) 

I thought of Susanna Wesley, the mother of Charles Wesley and John Wesley. ...and I let my mind sit.

She taught her children.

She helped provide for them.

She cared for them.

She fought for them.

She was an intentional mom.

You see, God called her to something great.  ->  It was motherhood.

Moms, I know, I know...it  looks like another load of laundry.  It looks like another meal.  It looks like another child's book, read for the tenth time.

...but Mommy, it is more...

Proverbs 31 says "She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. 15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.... 21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. 25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. 26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Oh, my dear moms, it is so much more.  Motherhood is a HUGE calling. These kiddos are our next generation.  You may be raising a John Wesley, a Katie Davis, a Hudson Taylor or a Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  You never know.

So, instead of ministering at church and reaching into other people's lives, T & I sat and cuddled. We watched her favorite songs on YouTube like Jesus Loves Me and we sang. We read a whole basket of books and we worshiped Jesus together.

It was beautiful!

It was and is my highest calling.  I love ministry.  I enjoy working but my children are God's assignment to me.  If they are not getting the care they need, then I need to step down from my other positions.

THIS is my calling. - Rejoicing in the Present







No comments:

Post a Comment