Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Letter to Moms of Teenagers

I am far from an expert but as a former teenager of an incredible mom and now a youth pastor's wife who works with teenagers, I felt that my story could benefit and encourage a mom of a teenager.  I pray this encourages you! - Rejoicing in the Present


Dear Mom of a Teenager,

Ok, I get it. We are not cute and cuddly anymore. We can get a "little" sassy and we can be just a little too cool for you, but, Mom, hang in there.

There is going to be day when we will really really need you to embrace us, rather then condemn us for the dumb decisions we made....again.

Let me tell you my story.

I had some really tough things happen in middle school and I grew very bitter at life and God during my early teen years. I started to rebel and, in doing so, really lashed out at my mom. I was uncontrollable during those years. When I look back, she was such a strong rock and, even during that time, I loved her more then any other person, but yet I was still so angry.

Since I didn't care about anyone but myself, I also did whatever made me happy and whatever was the "easy path." I got myself into a heap of trouble and developed some terrible habits.

I went down a deep, dark path. From the outside everything looked fine and dandy, but I was like a Pharisee. "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness." Matthew 23:27

Thankfully, I didn't have to hit rock-bottom.  In God's grace towards me, He brought some caring friends into my life that led me back to Him. These friends prayed for me and prayed specifically that I would attend a special week of youth meetings. Long-story short, I attended and the last night of the special meetings I got things right with God.

Sadly, I also had a lot to make right at home. I remember going home and talking to my mom. I confessed a LIST of my wrong doings. I was worried that I was going to be grounded for life....or worse.

Instead, she simply listened without condemnation and pointed out what I needed to do to make it right. After that day, I knew I could talk to her about anything. In fact, to this day, she is usually one of the first to find out what is going on in my life. She is my sounding board, my counselor, and friend.

Moms, I promise, we love you. We do enjoy the hugs, even when we act like we don't. Mom, hang in there. Pour prayer over us, be there to listen, don't condemn us and, mostly, when we open up to you (even when we have done something REALLY bad) love us still.

To end, I want to say, I am not a teenager now, I haven't been for a LONG TIME, but I can remember that experience like it was yesterday. I am now a youth pastor's wife and I have the pleasure of working with YOUR beautiful teenagers.


I have met so many sweet girls who are hurting very badly to the point that they have cut themselves, given up their purity and more. But each and every one of the those girls has SO MUCH potential. Many of them are God's girls who have wandered, who have allowed the devil access into their lives.

As long as your baby is still breathing, God is not done with her.

Don't give up, Mama! These girls and boys are on a journey. They are growing. They are learning.

Be there to help them when they fall. Encourage them when they are still walking with the Lord and pray for them no matter how good or how bad they are doing.

Hang in there, Mom!

- Rejoicing in the Present

2 comments:

  1. Joy, I have said this before and I will say it again- your folks named you right! We love your bright smile, sweet spirit and you always light up the room. Whatever horrors you may have inflicted on your delightful mom and dad have served you well as you go forward from young adulthood to middle age in loving and supporting other young people find their path to Our Lord. And like I always told my son... I hope you have children who are half as difficult as you are and you will then understand... Blessings to you, may your beautiful babies ALL survive their teenage years- including those from another mother that you take under your wings. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHhhh NO! If my kids are half as bad, I am in HUGE Trouble!!!! :-)

    Thanks for the kind words. I just pray everyday that my kids come to the cross and find their life there. <3 u Nancy!

    ReplyDelete